Work Visas Reno, Nevada

An immigrant can apply for a temporary or permanent work visa depending on the field they plan to enter.

Overview of Permanent and Temporary Work Visas

Reno, NV- Each year thousands of immigrants are allowed to come to the U.S. and work. Immigrants can work in the U.S. temporarily or permanently in a variety of occupations. It can be confusing for an immigrant to figure you what work visa they need to apply for or how to begin the process. This article will discuss the types of work visas available to immigrants who want to work in the U.S.

What are the two work visa categories?

Depending on the job they are seeking and their skill set, an immigrant can apply for a temporary (nonimmigrant) or permanent (immigrant) work visa. On average, the USCIS issues 140,000 temporary and permanent work visas every year, and they go quickly. That is why immigrants need to act swiftly and retain an immigration lawyer in Reno, Nevada to ensure their visas applications are completed accurately and are submitted in a timely fashion.

Nonimmigrant Visas

Nonimmigrant or temporary work visas are valid for a limited time– typically just months at a time—and are issued for to immigrants with a broad range of skills. Nonimmigrant visas are issued to workers with bachelor’s degrees or with farm workers. Nonimmigrant visa holders must leave the U.S. by a specific date or be banned from obtaining a work visa in the future.

The USCIS issues a limited number of work visas each year, so it’s important applicants enlist an immigration lawyer to help with the process.

Many temporary (nonimmigrant) visas are issued for seasonal work in the agricultural and hospitality industries. The common types are H-2A visas which are granted for seasonal work on U.S. farms and the H-2B visa which is issued for seasonal work for hotels, resorts and amusement parks.

The most sought after temporary work visa is the H-1B visa. It is a considered a nonimmigrant visa, but the holder can apply for a green card if they have the sponsorship of an employer. The H-1B visa is the only temporary work visa that gives an immigrant leeway to apply for a green card or citizenship.H-1B visas are usually issued for workers in STEM fields, medicine, education and business specialties and are valid for one or three-year periods.

There is an extensive list of temporary nonimmigrant visas available depending on an immigrant’s skills, so USAttorneys recommends you consult with an immigration attorney to help you choose the right visa.

Permanent Work Visa

If an immigrant would like to remain in the U.S. and work, they can apply for a permanent work visa. Such visas are granted to immigrants with exceptional skills in a variety of occupations including the arts, business, education, and science, just to name a few. A permanent (immigrant) visa allows the holder to apply for a green card immediately. Permanent work visa holders can sponsor a spouse or their children for a green card, as well. An immigrant must have a job offer from a U.S. employer before they can apply for a permanent work visa.

USAttorneys has an experienced team of immigration lawyers in Reno, Nevada who will devote their time and expertise to each client’s case. They will approach your case with a high degree of professionalism, so you have a greater chance of success.

Speak with a lawyer to explain the difference in a permanent and temporary work visa.

Speak with a lawyer to explain the difference in a permanent and temporary work visa.