What Should I Do If My Application for Naturalization Has Been Denied?

New York City, NY immigration lawyer

If your application for naturalization has been denied by U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), you do have the right to appeal the decision. Generally, a person qualifies for naturalization if they meet one of the conditions stipulated below:


  • You have been a permanent resident for at least five years and meet all other eligibility requirements. To view a list of these other requirements, click here.
  • You have been a permanent resident for three years or more and meet all the eligibility requirements necessary to file as a spouse of a U.S. citizen. To learn more about what these requirements are, consider visiting USCIS’s Naturalization for Spouses of U.S. Citizens page that provides you with this information.
  • You have qualifying service in the U.S. armed forces and meet all other eligibility requirements.
  • They are the child of a U.S. citizen that was born outside the U.S., is currently residing outside the U.S., and all other eligibility requirements are met.


[Source: USCIS].


Unfortunately, USCIS sometimes denies applications for naturalization for various reasons. While some individuals forget to submit certain documents USCIS requires them to provide, others make a mistake on their application. So, before filing your appeal, it is important that you understand why USCIS denied your application for naturalization so you know what error needs to be corrected or what type of documentation needs to be submitted to USCIS. Now, because USICS did deny your application, it would be in your best interest to hire a New York City, NY immigration attorney who can help you with the appeals process as they can assist you in proving why your application should have been approved initially.


How do I appeal a denied application for naturalization?


If you wish to appeal USCIS’s decision to deny your application, you will need to fill out and file Form N-336, Request for Hearing on a Decision in Naturalization Proceedings. When you file this form, you are requesting a hearing before an immigration officer regarding the denial of your Form N-400, Application for Naturalization. USCIS recommends that you file Form N-336 within 30 calendar days from the date you received notice that your Form N-400 was denied. USCIS is extremely strict in the amount of time they give you to file the appeal so it is best that you get it sent in as soon as possible.

NYC immigration and deportation attorneys
Anytime you find yourself dealing with an immigration-related issue, it is best to contact an immigration lawyer to find out how they can help you resolve it.

Again, it would be wise of you to retain an immigration lawyer in New York City, NY who can help you better understand why your application was denied along with what needs to be provided in order to submit your appeal so that you increase your chances of becoming a naturalized citizen. The fact is, dealing with USCIS can be frustrating, especially when they deny your request which is why it is always best to have someone who is experienced in handling immigration-related matters working by your side assisting you.

Therefore, if you would like to be connected with an immigration lawyer in NYC who is available to help you file your appeal, contact USAttorneys.com and we will gladly help you locate a legal professional in your area who is willing and able to help you.

By | 4:21 pm | Categories: Immigration News | Comments Off on What Should I Do If My Application for Naturalization Has Been Denied?

Comments are closed.