Need An Immigration Attorney in Utah?

The U.S. welcomes millions of foreign travelers every year. People from all over the globe come to America because it is a beacon of freedom and economic opportunities are abundant for the industrious immigrant. The reasons for traveling to America vary and many immigrants chose Utah as their ultimate destination. Regardless of their reason for choosing the U.S., an immigrant needs to enter legally with a visa or other immigration status.

Immigration in Utah

As of 2014, the foreign-born population of Utah was 8.5 percent, data from the Migration Policy Institute shows.

Utah Counties with the highest foreign-born population according to MPI are:

Salt Lake County- 133,500

Utah County- 39,800

Weber County- 17,500

Davis County- 15,400

38 percent of foreign-born nationals in Utah are naturalized citizens

62 percent of foreign-born nationals in Utah are not naturalized.

Getting authorization for immigration to Utah

Statistics from the Pew Research Center show that there are over 11 million undocumented immigrants in the U.S. currently. Some of those immigrants enter the U.S. illegally and approximately 40 percent of immigrants are undocumented because they overstayed a visa. There are many immigrants who are not deterred by the consequences of being undocumented, which usually entails deportation, and enter the U.S. illegally. That is a risky move since an immigrant can be banned from the U.S. depending on the details of their case.

Any immigrant who wants to work or live in Utah should take the correct legal steps and get a visa or other authorization. Below are some of the ways and individual can immigration authorization:

Immigrant Visa- Immigrant visas are considered permanent visas because the holder can live and work in the U.S. indefinitely and can apply for a green card or U.S. citizenship. An immigrant or permanent visa is awarded to a person who is:

Sponsored by a family member or fiancé(e)

Sponsored by an employer

Married to a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident

Nonimmigrant visa- Nonimmigrant visas are considered temporary and are awarded to immigrants who are going to be in States for a short time to do seasonal work or to travel. Nonimmigrant visas are usually only valid for a few months.

In 2015, the State Department issue over 10 million nonimmigrant visas. Following are the most requested nonimmigrant visas:

H-1B visa-Person in specialty occupation with a bachelor’s degree or higher.

H-2A visa-Temporary seasonal work on farms or in the agricultural industry.

H-2B visa-Temporary seasonal work in the hospitality industry including hotels, resorts and amusement parks.

Visit the State Department website for a complete list if immigrant and nonimmigrant visas

Asylum-Asylum is a special immigration status reserved for refugees fleeing war or persecution in their native countries. Refugees can wait up to two years before they are granted immigration status.

For more information about asylum visit the USCIS website.

Getting immigration authorization in Utah

Immigrants who need to renew a visa or green card or want to sponsor a family member for a visa, should set up a consultation with an immigration lawyer in Utah. They will apply their skills and expertise to your case, so you get the status you are seeking or your loved one does. Our team of top-notch lawyers can help you with a range of immigration services including:


Nonimmigrant visa applications

Green card applications

Naturalization applications

HB-1 visas

Deportation defense.