Select your county to be connected with a local attorney

Texas Immigration Lawyers and Emigration Attorneys To Help You

There are so many wonderful things about the U.S. that millions of immigrants apply for visas so they can visit, live, study and work in the country every year. Many immigrants who visit the U.S. are drawn to Texas and decide to make it their home.

Immigration in Texas

Because much of Texas is along the Southern Border, the state has a large immigrant population. Data from the Migration Policy Institute (MPI) shows that 16.8 percent of the population in the Lone Star State is foreign-born.

Texas ranks in the top five states with large immigrant populations.

Latinos accounted for 68.2 percent of foreign-born nationals in the state.

Asians made up 18.0 percent of foreign-born nationals in the state.

The three counties with highest number of immigrants per MPI are:

Harris County-1.1 million

Dallas County- 582,200

Tarrant County- 301,700

Illegal immigration in Texas

As a border state, Texas has a large population of undocumented immigrants. Some crossed the border illegally through a tunnel or other smuggling operation. Other immigrants are undocumented because they overstayed a work or travel visa. Whatever their reason for being undocumented, it is a risky way to live and could result in deportation. USAttorneys wants to encourage all immigrants to get legal authorization before entering the U.S. or neglecting to renew a visa.

Texas is one of the many states that assist federal immigration officials with enforcement and participates in two

The first program is Secure Communities. For that program, law enforcement officers are asked to enter the fingerprints of any arrestees they suspect of being undocumented into a federal database. If it turns out that an immigrant is has an unauthorized presence, they can be held until immigration agents arrive to pick them up.

The second program Texas participates in is 287(g) the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) ACCESS Program. Police in Carrollton, Farmers Branch and Harris County agree to cooperate with federal immigration authorities to enforce immigration laws.

Entering Texas with legal authorization

Immigrants who want to enter Texas with authorization can apply for a visa. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services issue millions of visas for work, travel and immigration each year. Immigrants can apply for an immigrant (permanent) visa if they plan on moving to Texas and applying for a green card. Or, an individual can apply for a nonimmigrant (temporary) visa for short-term employment or travel

Immigrant visas include:

Visa for spouse of a U.S. citizens or green card holder

Visa for relative of U.S. citizens or green card holder

Visas for a fiancé(e) of a U.S. citizen

Nonimmigrant visas include:

H-1B Visa- Granted to highly-skilled workers with at least a bachelor’s degree

H-2B Visa- Temporary visa for employment in the agricultural industry

H-2B Visa- Temporary visa for work in the hospitality industry

Student visa

Cross-border passes

In border states, it is common for Americans and Mexicans to travel across the border frequently, so residents in border towns need a border pass to travel back and forth. An immigrant that needs to cross the border regularly, can apply for a B1 or B2 Border Crossing Card.

The State Department website has a comprehensive list of visas on their website.

There are other ways to get legal entry to the U.S. depending on your reason for immigrating and the conditions in your native country. If you have any questions about immigrating to the USAttorneys recommends you speak with an immigration attorney in Texas. Our skilled team of lawyers can help you get a visa or sponsor a family member.