In order for an individual to qualify for Consideration of Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA), they must meet certain eligibility criteria including an education requirement. According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), an individual must show that they are either currently in school, graduated school or obtained a certificate of competition from high school, or obtained a general education development (GED) certificate. If none of the above criteria has been met, then the individual must show they are an honorably discharged veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces or the U.S. Coast Guard.


When would an individual be considered “currently in school?”


In order for USCIS to consider an individual currently enrolled in school, they must be enrolled in one of the following:

  • A public or private elementary school, middle school, high school, or secondary school.
  • An education, literacy, or career training program. USCIS says this program should be designed to “lead to placement in postsecondary education, job training, or employment” where they intend on seeking placement in.
  • An education program that helps students who are looking to obtain their regular high school diploma or who are looking to pass the GED exam.


If an individual has already graduated from high school, they can use any of the following to prove this when applying for DACA:

  • A high school diploma
  • A GED certificate
  • Certificate of Completion
  • Certificate of Attendance
  • Alternate awards from a public or private high school or secondary school

In the event an individual meets all the eligibility criteria, including the education requirement outlined above and their DACA application is approved, when it comes time for them to renew, they will need to show at the time of their request that:

  1. They graduated from the school they were previously enrolled in.
  2. Made “measurable” progress toward graduating, or;
  3. They have obtained their GED or high school diploma if they were enrolled in an education program that aids students in obtaining their GED or high school diploma when they initially applied for DACA.


Applying for DACA When Living in Texas


If an individual in Texas is considering applying for DACA for the first time or is looking to submit a renewal request, it would be in their best interest to have a Texas immigration attorney help them with the application process. Although USCIS is accepting new DACA requests and requests for renewals, applications are more often denied or rejected than they are approved.1 Therefore, if an individual wants to ensure their paperwork is free from errors and is submitted with the correct documentation, they can contact the Law Office of J. Joseph Cohen for help.

For years, Texas immigration attorney J. Joseph Cohen has been helping individuals obtain immigration benefits and resolve their issues and is available to help anyone who may be looking to obtain DACA status. To receive an initial consultation, contact the Law Office of J. Joseph Cohen today at 210-503-2800.


The Law Office of J. Joseph Cohen can be reached at:


310 South St. Mary’s Street, Suite 2100

San Antonio, Texas 78205

Phone: 210-503-2800




0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *