B-2 tourist visas are reserved for foreign nationals who are looking to come to the U.S. for pleasure, tourism, medical treatment, etc. This means if a foreign national wanted to visit with friends or family or was looking to take a vacation in the U.S., they would need to apply for a B-2 visa before being permitted to do so. A B-2 visa is considered a nonimmigrant visa which means the person applying only intends on staying in the U.S. for a temporary period of time.


Applying For a B-2 Visa


In order for an individual to apply for a B-2 visa, they would need to fill out Form DS-160, Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application. Form DS-160, once filled out and completed, must be submitted electronically to the Department of State’s website. Once received, Consular Offices will review the information provided on the form to determine if an applicant is eligible to receive a B-2 visa. The Department of State suggests that after an applicant has submitted their Form DS-160 they:


Is there an appointment wait time for B-2 visas?


While some visa applicants might not be subject to a waiting period, it all comes down to the location, season, and the visa type a person is applying for. To find out what the appointment wait time is for a B-2 nonimmigrant visa, an applicant can enter their city on the U.S. Department of State’s website. If the search produces a wait time of 999 calendar days, this means the Consular is only handling cases that involve an emergency.


Can a B-2 visa holder adjust their status once they are in the U.S.?


After a foreign national receives their B-2 visa, they are permitted to adjust their status after they have arrived in the U.S. For instance, if a person was visiting friends and family in Texas and decided they wanted to attend school there, they would need to submit the appropriate forms with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) before their authorized stay expires. Anyone looking to adjust their visitor visa to a student visa must submit their adjustment of status forms along with any others USCIS requires and receive approval from USCIS before they begin attending a school in the U.S.

If an individual who was present in the U.S. on a B-2 visa changes their activity in the U.S. before USCIS has approved their request to change visa types, they could be barred from returning or even deported.


Contact the Law Office of J. Joseph Cohen Before Applying for an Immigrant or Nonimmigrant Visa


Before an individual begins the visa application process, they or a family member should contact the Law Office of J. Joseph Cohen so that an immigration lawyer can explain the process and even assist with filling out forms. One small mistake on a visa application could result in it being denied and that is not something anyone wants happening, especially if they were subject to a waiting period. The Texas immigration attorneys at the Law Office of J. Joseph Cohen are not only qualified to assist with the visa application process but they also assist those already in Texas who are looking to adjust their status or have been faced with an immigration-related issue.


You can reach the Law Office of J. Joseph Cohen at:


310 South St. Mary’s Street, Suite 2100

San Antonio, Texas 78205

Phone: 210-503-2800

Website: www.jjosephcohen.com

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *