Select your county to be connected with a local attorney

Immigration Attorneys and Lawyers in North Carolina

When seeking greater economic opportunities or more freedom, immigrants often choose the United States. Immigrants from every continent come by the millions to live, work, and travel. Whatever an immigrant’s reason for trying to immigrate to the U.S., it is critical to get permission via a green card, refugee status or another immigration status.

Immigration in North Carolina

About 7.7 percent of North Carolina’s population is made up of foreign-born nationals, which equates to 763,584 immigrants from Latin-America, Asia, Africa and Europe in the state, the Migration Policy Institute (MPI).

The three regions with the highest immigration, according to MPI are:

Durham- Chapel-Hill, NC- 12.2 percent foreign-born

Raleigh, NC- 11.7 percent foreign-born

Charlotte, NC- Gastonia, NC- Concord, SC- 9.5 percent foreign-born

Entry Visas

Most immigrants who come to the U.S. get lawful entry through a visa, asylum or another immigration status. There are two primary categories of visa issued by the State Department or the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services: immigrant visas and nonimmigrant visas.

The two main types of employment visas are temporary (nonimmigrant) and permanent (immigrant). The specific employment visa a person applies for depends on their education, skills and how long they intend to remain in the U.S. Work Visas are only granted to immigrants who are being sponsored by an employer in the states.

If you want to apply for a work visa, we suggest you talk to an immigration lawyer in North Carolina. Our knowledgeable team can determine which work visa is appropriate for you and walk you through the process. USAttorneys’ will help you find the right counselor to assist you with all stages of immigration.

Temporary work visas

Temporary work visas are issued for a short time to immigrants with different educational levels and range of job skills. Temporary work visas are issued to immigrants secure employment in the agricultural and hospitality industries.

Some temporary work visas include:

H-1B visa-Granted to skilled immigrants with a bachelor’s degree or higher

H-2A visa- Granted for seasonal work in the agricultural industry

H-2B visa- Granted for seasonal work in the hospitality industry

R- Religious Worker

Immigrants with temporary work visas must renew their visa or exit the country if it expires.

Immigrant work visas

An immigrant or permanent work visa is issued to immigrants with U.S. employment who plan on moving to the states. Permanent work visas are issued to immigrants for a range of occupations and skill levels for long-term employment. To obtain an immigrant visa, an individual must be sponsored by an employer. Once they meet a residency requirement, an immigrant visa holder can apply for a green card and citizenship.

H-1B visas- The H-1B visa is granted to immigrants for temporary or permanent travel, but are reserved for immigrants with a higher education and has to be renewed periodically. The USCIS only issues 65,000 H-1B visas a year, so immigrants must act quickly and keep up with the application process.

Legal Permanent Residency in North Carolina

In 2014, USCIS granted lawful permanent residency, or a green card, to 990,553 people statistics from the Migration Policy Institute shows. Immigrants with legal permanent resident status are allowed to sponsor family members and spouses for a visa or green card. Green card holders are also allowed to travel out of the U.S. and return freely.

Following are a few of the ways to get legal permanent residency (green card):

Through a spouse, parent or child

Trough employment

Through asylum status