How do I appeal a deportation order?

Only certain types of cases can be appealed and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) only has jurisdiction over certain types. If you wish to appeal a deportation order, you will want to contact USCIS first to determine if they are able to help you. If it is a friend or family member who is at risk of being deported, they will want to do the same. You can get in touch with an agent at USCIS by calling: 800-375-5283.

It is likely that either the Administrative Appeals Office (AAO) or the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA), which is part of the U.S. Department of Justice, may have jurisdiction over your appeal which means they would be responsible for handling the matter. Generally, if USCIS doesn’t take over the appeal, the AAO will. They will conduct an appellate review and it should be completed within 45 days. Because your matter deals with deportation, it could take longer. If the AAO does have jurisdiction over your case, the appeals review should be completed within six months.

For your convenience, the contact information for the AAO is provided below:



U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Administrative Appeals Office

20 Massachusetts Ave., NW


Phone Number: 1-703-224-4501

Fax- 1-703-778-7483


Because deportation is a serious matter that should be addressed immediately, it is recommended that you hire a local immigration and deportation attorney in Newark, NJ as soon as possible. They can provide you with advice that USCIS cannot and represent you if your case has been taken before an immigration court. Once an individual is placed in removal proceedings, they increase their chances of remaining in the U.S.  only if they have the help from a professional such as one of our Newark deportation lawyers.


Some Things to Know If You are Facing Deportation


If you have family here in New Jersey or good job, we understand why you would want to appeal a deportation order that has been placed against you. Perhaps the reason you entered the U.S. was due to the unsafe living conditions present in your country. Either reason is valid and while we can help you find a deportation attorney in Newark who can assist with the appeals process, there are a few things we want to bring to your attention.


  1. Before the removal proceedings are over, you may be able to leave the U.S. on your own under voluntary departure. This could prevent you from being restricted from entering back into the U.S. for a set timeframe.
  2. If you are under the impression that your civil rights have been violated in the immigration removal proceedings process, you are permitted to file a complaint with the Department of Homeland Security. You can access that page by clicking here.
  3. If you were living in Newark, NJ as an undocumented immigrant, you may be eligible to apply for an adjustment of status which would get you a green card. Our immigration and green card attorneys in Newark can help you determine if this is something you qualify for.


To get you connected with a local immigration and deportation lawyer now, contact us today. Our agents are helpful and will work diligently with you until you have retained legal aid from a reputable attorney.