Find Local New York Immigration Lawyers and Deportation Attorneys

America is a top destination for travelers from all over. People come to its’s shores for many reasons like freedom of speech, freedom of religion, better jobs, better wages and a higher quality of life. But to enjoy the freedoms and economic opportunities of the U.S. and New York, an immigrant needs to get authorization through a visa or other immigration status.

Immigration in New York

The Migration Policy Institute reports that 22.6 percent of the population of New York State are foreign-born. Overall, that’s over 4.23 million immigrants in the Empire State.

Bronx County, Kings County, Queens County and New York County have the highest concentration of foreign-born nationals in New York State.

32 percent of foreign-born nationals in New York state are Latino

25.6 percent of foreign-born nationals are Asian

18.9 percent of foreign-born nationals in New York State are African-American

Illegal immigration in New York

Many immigrants enter the U.S. without permission for numerous reasons from fear or personal safety to better economic opportunities. Immigrants who enter illegally face numerous challenges and legal consequences. Immigrants who cross a border illegally or overstay and visa don’t have work authorization so it can be difficult to find a job. They also face deportation and could be prohibited from entering the U.S. anytime soon. Immigrants should always get authorization for U.S. entry.

The Pew Research Center estimates that roughly 40 percent of the over 11 million undocumented immigrants in the U.S. overstay a visa. An immigration attorney in New York can help an immigrant renew a visa, so they don’t become undocumented.

Legal immigration in New York

Immigrants who plan on working in New York or building a life there in the state need first to get a visa to enter the U.S. or must qualify for a humanitarian immigration status.

U.S. is a humanitarian nation, so it allows immigrants from countries that are plagued by war devastated, drug or gang violence or a natural disaster to live in America. Refugees can apply for asylum which gives them permission to work and live in the U.S. indefinitely and apply for a green card but few immigrants, less than 100,000 are granted that status every year. Humanitarian parole is a temporary status that is granted to immigrants whose native countries are temporarily unsafe, usually due to a natural disaster.

Most immigrants enter the U.S. with a visa which is issued for temporary or permanent work or travel in the U.S. There is a wide range of visa offered to immigrants. Several factors dictate which visa an immigrant should apply for including how long they stay, if they are sponsored by an employer or a family or if they intend to apply for a green card. Work visas and family-sponsored visas are to primary categories of visas.

Temporary employment visas include:

B-1- Business Visitor

H-2A-Temporary Agricultural Worker

H-2B-Temporary Non-agricultural Worker

L- Intra-company transferee

H-1B- The H-1B is a highly-sought after visa which is reserved for immigrants who have a bachelor’s degree or higher. An H-1B visa can be issued for temporary work or travel and can be used for to apply for an legal permanent residency.

Immigrant (Permanent) work visas include:

EB-1- First preference workers

EB-2- Second preference workers who hold advanced degrees

EB-5- Investor visa for entrepreneurs

SD, SR-Religious workers

Immigration through family and spouse

Another way to immigrate to the U.S. is to be sponsored by a family member, visa issued for this category for include:

Visa for spouses of U.S. citizens or legal permanent resident

Fiancé(e) visa for foreign-born nationals

Family relation of U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident

Contact an immigration attorney in New York

Immigrants who wish to visit or live the U.S. the legal way or hope sponsor a loved one for a visa should contact an immigration attorney in New York. Our top-notch team will help you with your visa application, a deportation defense or an adjustment of status.