Millions of People Migrate

While the majority of these people are migrating for business, tourist or relocation purposes,
many of the people are moving in and out of the country illegally. In order to legally move into
the country, the immigrant needs to have in their possession a visa. This is a legal
document stating that the holder of said document is not an “illegal alien” to the country
and can therefore hold residency to the country. However, the process of obtaining a
visa isn’t the easiest for most people and with over 185 different types of visas, lots of
immigrants confuse the two main types of American visas with others. These are
immigrant visas and nonimmigrant visas; each with their own subcategories that identify
what the visa will be used for.
For people trying to come into the United States, an immigrant visa is required.
These kinds of visas have certain requirements for specific countries like Mexico and
Canada but all immigration policies are contingent on the country to which the
immigrant decides to leave. For example, if the immigrant were to leave Canada in the
hopes of coming to the United States, a visa is not required while a citizen from Mexico
would have to go through several government-mandated background and citizen
verification processes in order to be able to enter the country. Places that don’t require
a visa include Canada, the Republic of the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of
Micronesia, Palau, Andorra, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brunei, Chile, Czech Republic,
Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy,
Japan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Monaco, Netherlands, New
Zealand, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea,
Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, United Kingdom, Bermuda or the Cayman
Islands, the Bahamas and of course, travel within the country including Puerto Rico. In
order to immigrate, an immigrant should either have an immigrant visa or have a dual
intent visa, which is having an intention to apply for permanent residence within the
United States.
Entering the U.S. on an employment visa is a 3 step process. First, the employer
files an application with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services requesting a
particular type of visa for a specific individual. If the employer’s application is approved,
the individual can apply for a visa. Then they are interviewed at a U.S. embassy or
consulate in the native country. If the embassy or consulate gives the visa, the
individual is then allowed to travel to the U.S. However, a U.S. visa does not authorize
the alien’s entry to the United States, nor does it authorize the alien’s stay in the
country. A U.S. visa only serves as a preliminary permission given to the alien to travel
to the United States and to seek admission to the United States at a designated port of
entry. The final admission to the United States is made at the port of entry by a U.S.
Customs and Border Protection officer. Once this process is complete, the visa holder
may enter the country and be free to travel within it’s boundaries.
Nonimmigrant visas are a different matter when considering visas in that they
primarily deal with tourism and business ventures. There are over 40 different
classifications of nonimmigrant visas coordinated in letters A through V, each with up to
10 subcategory and each with their own purpose. While going through all of the uses of
the individual visas would be tedious, some of the primary and most commonly used
visas are simply used and explained. An A visa can cover ambassadors, public
ministers, or career diplomats, and their spouses and children, other accredited officials
or employees of foreign governments, and their spouses and children and personal
attendants of other A visa holders, and their spouses and children. This visa is used for
most government work and foreign diplomats entering the country. B visas can cover
business visitors and visitors for pleasure or medical treatment. This is the most
commonly used visa because it covers people on business trips and tourists. J visas
cover most foreign exchange visitors and their spouses and children. K visas cover
visitors coming to the United States to get married, and their children. Lastly, O and P
visas cover people that are coming to the U.S. that hold extraordinary abilities such as
athletes, scientists or artists and their support staff. These people must be
internationally recognized and gone through thorough investigation in order to obtain
such visa. This also applies to any visa permitted. The individual will have to go through
investigations, background checks and other paperworks in order to obtain a visa and
finally be able to travel within the United States.
In order to legally move into the United States, an immigrant needs to have in
their possession a visa. This article provides the individual with government-verified
access to the country. Whether the traveler wants to get an Immigrant or Nonimmigrant
visa, the application process will make sure that the individual may be granted access to
travel within the U.S. via a visa.