My civil rights were violated while I was detained by ICE. Can I file a complaint?


Yes, you can file a complaint but there is a specific process that must be followed. To file a complaint, you will need to download the fillable complaint form and either submit it by email, mail, or fax it to the Office for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties (CRCL). You may have better luck by emailing your complaint to [email protected], but it is not required that you submit it by way of email.


Some things you want to include when you do contact CRCL is the following:


  • Your contact information. This is extremely important as you want them to be able to get a hold of you so they can address the matter. Be sure to include your full name, date of birth, alien registration number, phone number, mailing address, and e-mail address if you have one.
  • A written description of the incident. Be sure to include the date, time, and location of where it occurred. If there were any witnesses, include their name and contact information as well. This can serve as proof that you were mistreated and help CRCL prove your allegations are true. If you know the name and job title of the individual who mistreated you as well as the facility where you were violated, be sure to include that in the written description.
  • Relevant documents. If you any paperwork regarding your complaint, be sure to provide this to CRCL.
  • A summary of any steps you have taken to get this resolved.
  • Complaints filed on behalf of a third party. If you are submitting a complaint on behalf of someone else, be sure to include relevant information pertaining to their complaint. You need written consent from that individual so that the department can discuss information relating to the matter with you.




Our immigration and deportation lawyers in Lincoln, Nebraska are available to assist you with this. We understand how difficult it can be to try and go up against a government employee or even an entire department and we want to help you find the best legal aid available.


What other types of complaints will the Office for Civil Rights and Civil Liberties review?


  • If an individual is claiming they were discriminated based on race, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or disability.
  • Your rights were violated while at an immigration detention facility or as a subject of immigration enforcement.
  • You were inappropriately questioned or discriminated against when questioned about entering the U.S.
  • You experienced a violation of your due process rights, such as being provided with a timely notice of charges or access to an immigration lawyer.
  • You were physically or verbally abused.
  • You experienced a violation of confidentiality provisions of the Violence Against Women Act.
  • You were denied access to DHS or DHS-supported programs, activities, or services due to limited English proficiency.
  • “Any other civil rights, civil liberties, or human rights violation related to a Department program or activity, including allegations of discrimination by an organization or program that receives financial assistance from DHS.”


To ensure your complaint is taken seriously and handled in a timely matter, contact today so we can further help you with this matter. Our immigration attorneys in Lincoln, NE are equipped to handle any type of immigration matter as they have the necessary experience and knowledge necessary to do so.