How can I help my child immigrate to the United States?


An IR-2 visa, also known as an Immediate Relative Immigrant Visa, is issued to an unmarried child of a U.S. citizen or permanent resident who is under the age of 21 that is wanting to immigrate over to the U.S. There are various types of IR visas including IR-1’s, IR-3’s, Ir-4’s, and even IR-5’s, however, each serves a different purpose. An IR-2 is very similar to an IR-1 visa, which would be issued to the spouse of a U.S. citizen, as you would have to go through the same process to obtain either type of visa.


How can I apply for an IR-2 for my child who is living abroad?


If you have a child living in a foreign country and are wanting to bring them into the U.S. to live with you, you are going to need to file Form I-130. Because a child is considered to be an immediate relative, they will not be subjected to having to wait until a visa is available, however, they may be subjected to a waiting period while USCIS determines whether they are going to approve or deny your application.


What do I need to submit to prove my relationship to my child is legitimate?


Aside from submitting Form I-130, you are also going to need to provide proof that the child, is in fact, yours. If you are applying for an IR-2 visa and you are the mother of the child, you will need to submit a copy of the child’s birth certificate that shows your name and the name of your child. Now, if you are the father of the child, you will need to supply USCIS with a copy of the child’s birth certificate that shows both parents’ names, your marriage certificate to the child’s mother, and proof of legal termination of the parents’ prior marriages, if there are any, issued by civil authorities, according to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Once your application is received by USCIS, you may be asked to complete an interview. If you would like help preparing for this interview, it is best you contact one of our IR-2 visa immigration attorneys as they have helped numerous clients just like you become aware of what types of questions might be asked and the best ways to answer them. There may be other forms that need to be submitted in addition to Form I-130 depending on your circumstances so rather than submit the form only to find out others needed to be sent in, it would be in your best interest to have an immigration and visa attorney help you with the entire process so that no mistakes are made.

There are many benefits that come along with an IR-2 visa and our visa lawyers want to help increase your chances of having your application approved the first time around. The fact is, if your child receives an IR-2 visa, not only will they be permitted to live with you in the U.S., but also attend school or continue their studies if they have begun taking courses at the college level.

So, if you would like to learn more about eligibility requirements to file a petition for an IR-2 visa or what documents you need to submit, contact us today and we will place you in touch with some of the best IR-2 visa lawyers in your area.