When Conor McGregor and his team of men decided to rush a bus carrying fighters who were scheduled to attend the UFC 223, he likely didn’t expect that his actions could potentially lead to him having his visa revoked. But, because the U.S. is not his home country and he is living here with permission and the understanding that he must follow all rules/laws, Daily Mail is saying he could be banned from returning to the U.S. if he is convicted of the charges that were recently pinned against him.
On Thursday night, McGregor was charged with felony criminal mischief and three counts of assault after him and his team of men threw objects such as a hand truck at the bus, causing the windows to shatter. At least four people sustained injuries. Michael Chiesa was one of the individuals who was injured by the broken glass that struck him and he was unable to continue with the scheduled fight he had been preparing for. Ray Borge was another fighter who suffered an injury to his eye after he too, was hit with the shattered glass. He was unable to continue on with his fight against Brandon Moreno.
Because McGregor,29, is an Irish citizen and could potentially be convicted of assault with aggravating circumstances, “his visa could be revoked-and getting another one would be difficult,” says the source. For now, he is out of jail on $50,000 bail and is still permitted to travel to and from the U.S. He is scheduled back in court on June 14th and he and his NY immigration lawyer may attempt to structure a plea deal that wouldn’t comprise his current immigration status. However, if the conviction is on the lesser charges, he may be allowed to retain his visa privileges.
Until he is placed before a judge again, we won’t know what his plans are or what type of deal his NY immigration attorney might offer. What we do know is that the violent behavior McGregor displayed has led to many more problems for the fighter aside from him being stripped of his lightweight belt. Not only are his U.S. privileges at risk of being revoked, but the source is also saying that he could be facing a fighting license ban in New York.
Depending on how aggressive McGregor’s immigration lawyer is will determine what charges he may potentially get dropped or reduced and if he will still be permitted to enter the U.S. Whether or not he will be able to fight again, that is unknown. But, according to UFC President Dana White, things aren’t looking too good for McGregor as White repeatedly said how disgraced he was with him.
Although things aren’t looking too bright for McGregor, because he has retained attorneys who specialize in immigration and criminal defense, he stands a good chance of not being faced with the maximum penalties for the crimes he committed.