Ask Our Idaho Immigration Lawyers and Attorneys Any Law Questions

 Millions of immigrants from the world over flock to America to visit, work, and maybe live. Many decide to make Idaho their destination. Approximately 97,353 foreign-born individuals made up the 2014 population of Idaho, according to the Migration Policy Institute. If you are an immigrant and want to come to the U.S., you have several steps you need to take to get permission to enter.

Illegal immigration

Immigrating to the U.S. is not an easy process; it’s time-consuming, and the rate of denial is high. For those reasons, many immigrants attempt to enter the country illegally; others overstay their visas. Illegally entering the U.S. is not advised.  It is unlawful and has several consequences including detention and removal. In addition to being detained and fined, if you enter the U.S. without authorization, you could be subjected to three-year or ten-year bars on reentry.

Immigration Authorization

There are several option for an immigrant to get permission to work or live in Idaho, including:

Temporary visas: As their name suggests, these visas are only valid for a limited time. A temporary visa, also known as a nonimmigrant visa. Most nonimmigrant/temporary visas are issued for temporary work in the U.S. The State Department issued over 21,000 employment-based nonimmigrant visas in 2015.

Below are the most common temporary visa requests, according to the State Department:

H-1B- Professionals for specialty occupations

H-2A- Agricultural workers for seasonal jobs

H-2B- Non-agricultural workers for seasonal jobs

Permanent Visa: These visas are issued to individuals who want to immigrate to the U.S. and live. A person who obtains a permanent visa is given work authorization and can apply for a green card after meeting the necessary residency requirements. Following are some of the commonly requested permanent visas:

Spouse of a U.S. Citizen or legal permanent resident

Intercountry adoption of orphaned children

Fiancé(e) visa issued to immigrants engaged to marry a U.S. citizen

Family relation of U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident


HB-1 Visa- The H-B1 visa can be issued for short-term work or immigration, so it is referred to as a dual-intent visa. You can learn more information about H-1B visas by visiting the USCIS.

Asylum- Immigrants who face persecution in their native countries based on their gender, political affiliations, and religious beliefs or live in a country ravaged by war can apply for refugee status. Refugees who are granted asylum have permission to live in the U.S. and are granted work authorization. It’s worth noting that there is a long and thorough vetting process for refugees, so it takes the time to get asylum.

Humanitarian parole- Humanitarian parole is a temporary immigration relief that gives immigrants permission to come to the U.S. because it is unsafe for them to remain in their home country because of man-made or natural disasters. The USCIS gives a list of the countries where the citizens are eligible for humanitarian parole.

Immigration laws in Idaho

Immigration enforcement is usually under the purview of federal officials, but law enforcement in Idaho assist in the pursuit of individuals who are suspected of being documented. Law enforcement in the state also participates in a federal program called Secure Communities, which asks officers to check the immigration status of anyone they arrest.

Immigrating to Idaho

Immigrating to Idaho or another region of the U.S. is complex. Errors could result in denial of your immigration application whether it is for asylum, visa or other status and you must start over again. USAttorneys recommends immigrants speak with an immigration lawyer in Idaho to see how they can help you get the status you are seeking.