NJ immigration attorney

If you entered the U.S. legally, you may be able to apply for NJ driver’s license.

If you were admitted into the U.S. on a temporary visa and are not considered to be a U.S. citizen, the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission (NJ MVC) states that you are permitted to apply for a NJ driver’s license if you fit into one of the following categories:

  • Treaty traders
  • Students and their family members
  • Temporary workers, along with their spouses and children
  • Foreign information representatives and their families
  • Exchange visitors and their families
  • Intra-company transfers, along with their spouses and minor children
  • Individuals who are currently protected from being deported
  • Canadians with temporary residence
  • Religious ministers and spouses
  • Parents of U.S. citizens
  • International athletes or entertainment groups
  • Individuals who are a part of a reciprocal exchange program
  • Students and their families with an (F) visa
  • If you are here with an H-1B or L-1 status and do not have current U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) documentation, “you are required to bring a certification such as the H-1B or L-1 240 Day Extension Certificate with your 6 Point ID documents to an MVC (Motor Vehicle Commission) agency.”


If you aren’t sure whether you fit into one of these categories and would like assistance with determining whether you qualify to apply for a NJ driver’s license, contact a NJ immigration attorney who would be more than happy to help you. Now, if you were able to determine that you qualify to apply,there are a few important things you need to be aware of. 


  • If you are under 18 years of age, you are required to comply with the GDL Program requirements. This means you will either need to apply for a student learners permit if you are 16 years of age and enrolled in a licensed driving school, or an examination permit if you are 17 years of age or older [Source: New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission]. Each type of permit carries different requirements that must be met so it is best to visit the NJ MVC’s website to find out what these are.


  • You will be asked to provide proof that the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Services has authorized you to live in the U.S.


  • The NJ MVC says that you must bring with you your foreign license and present the documents required to pass the 6 Point ID You can click here now to see what documents would suffice for 6 Point ID Verification. In the event you do not have proof of driving experience, you will also be subject to meeting the GDL Program requirements as well.


If the agency is unable to confirm your immigration status, a permit will not be issued to you. The same applies if you neglect to provide all the required documentation the agency asks you to supply them with.


Are unauthorized immigrants allowed to apply for a New Jersey driver’s license?

  • Currently, anyone living in New Jersey as an undocumented immigrant is not permitted to obtain a driver’s license unless they can prove they have been lawfully admitted into the country. However, there is a push for the law to be mandated in NJ so that undocumented immigrants can, in fact, drive legally in NJ. The only states that do allow unauthorized immigrants to obtain their driver’s license include:


  • California
  • Colorado
  • Connecticut
  • Delaware
  • Hawaii
  • Illinois
  • Maryland
  • Nevada
  • New Mexico
  • Utah
  • Vermont
  • Washington


[Source:National Conference of State Legislatures].


New Jersey immigration and deportation lawyers

Have a question regarding an immigration-related matter? Contact a NJ immigration and deportation attorney today for answers to all the questions and concerns you might have.

You should keep in mind that the states that do offer unauthorized immigrants to obtain their driver’s license have certain requirements that must be met and limitations on how the ID can be used.

Now, if you are currently living in New Jersey as an undocumented immigrant and are looking to acquire the documents needed so that you are no longer living in the U.S. illegally, contact the Law Office of Eric M. Mark. Not only will immigration attorney Eric M. Mark provide you with the information you are seeking, but he also offers free consultations to those who have questions relating to asylum, family-based immigration, deportation, etc. You can contact his office now at 973-453-2009 to receive a free, 15-minute consultation.


You can reach the Law Office of Eric M. Mark now at:


201 Washington Street

Newark, NJ 07102


Website: www.ericmarklaw.com