Different Types of Visas in Long Island New York

A foreign citizen that wishes to enter the United States must obtain a U.S. visa, which is issues in the traveler’s passport. A visa is usually required upon entry to the United States, it allows a foreigner to travel to the port of entry and make a request the Customs Border and Protection or Department of Homeland Security to allow them permission to enter the U.S. The type of visa a person need depends on their purpose of travelling to the United States and immigration laws.


Regarding the different visa types, temporary visas or non-immigrant visas are the most common among the ones that are obtained by foreign citizens. B-1/B-2 Tourist/Visitor Visas are needed for those coming into the US for either business or pleasure. These visas are only good for a short amount of time and are not needed by those that intend to work in the United States for a longer duration of time. E-1/E-2 Treaty and Investor Visas are needed by investors or traders that intended to carry out business operations in the USA, if their country has obtained a commercial treaty with the USA to ensure visa eligibility. F-1 and M-1 Student Visas are needed by those that plan on studying abroad in the United States or that wish to receive training apropos their desired field of study. H-1B Specialty Occupation (Professionals) Visas are required for professional workers that have a bachelor’s degree of the equivalent of one. J-1 and Q-1 Exchange Visitor Visas are required for persons that come into the USA in an approved exchange program, this includes youth exchange programs, scholars, business trainers, teachers, international or government visitors, au pairs, and specialists. J-1 visa holders are often required to spend 2 years in other country outside of the United States before they are able to switch to another temporary visa or permanent residency visa before they are able to re-enter the United States. K-1 Fiancé(e) Visas are open to those that will marry a United States citizens within 90 days. L-1 Intracompany Transfer Visas are offered to business executives, managers, and employees that are transferring to an American affiliate of their home country’s firm or business. Business executives and managers may also be eligible for a permanent residency visa instead. O-1 Extraordinary Ability Worker Visas are available to foreign nationals that have an occupation as an athlete, entertainer, scientist, or business personal. A similar visa, the P-1 Artists and Athletes Visa is available to artists, entertainers, and athletes. Religious workers may obtain the R-1 Religious Worker Visa. Nationalists of Canada and Mexico may be eligible for a special visa category known as the TC and TN NAFTA and US- Canada Free Trade Agreement Visa.

Those who intended to stay in the United States of American for a long duration of time must obtain an immigration visa or a permanent residency visa, also known as a “Green Card”. Given the large number of Mexican immigrants in the city and state where I live (Clermont, Florida), the Green Card is the visa that I have heard the most often about. Family Sponsored Immigration Visas allow United States citizens to put in a request for their spouses, parents, siblings, or children to obtain permanent residency in the United States. Permanent Residents of the U.S. may also put in the same request; however, this request is limited to their spouses and/or children. Employer-Sponsored Immigration Visas include the EB-1 Foreign Nationals of Extraordinary Ability, Outstanding Professors and Researchers and Multinational Executives and Managers. An EB-2 Workers with Advanced Degrees or Exceptional Ability in the Sciences, Arts or Business is also included for those that already have a job offer and the potential employer must have or will complete the labor certification process to ensure an individual is not taking a job away from an American employee. The visa holder of an EB-3 Skilled Workers and Professionals also must have a job offer and the potential employer must also complete the labor certification process. The EB-4 Special Immigration Visas for Religious Workers is open to ministers of religion that wish to become a permanent resident of the United States. An EB-5 Investor/Employment Creation Visas is open to those that have invested a minimum of $500,000 in “targeted employment areas”. DV-1 Visas are allotted in a drawing of underrepresented individuals that are immigrants.

Obtaining an American Visa is of the utmost importance for foreigners that are entering the United States. A visa will allow foreign citizens to be able to make business investments, make transactions through the bank, study, work, vacation, or travel in the USA. Refusal to obtain or renew a visa could result in very serious legal problems. Consulting immigration lawyers is essential to those that are in violation of immigration laws or those that wish to stay in the United States permanently or for an extended period of time.


MLA Citations

Different Visa Types. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 June 2017.

Hg.org. N.p., n.d. Web. 10 June 2017.

U.S. Department of State. U.S. Department of State, n.d. Web. 10 June 2017.