Thinking Of Immigrating to Colorado? Ask Our Lawyers For Advice

 People from all over the world choose to come to America for a variety of reasons and some make Colorado their destination. Immigrants can get permission to travel,  work, or be reunited with a loved one or to marry an American citizen. But no matter what draws a foreign national to the U.S., before they can enter they must get authorization. Immigrants can gain entry through an employment visa, or a family-based visa.

Employment Visa

The two main categories of employment visas are temporary (nonimmigrant) and permanent (immigrant). The type of employment visa an immigrant applies is dependent on level of education and the duration of their stay the U.S. Work visas are limited to immigrants who are sponsored by an employer.

If you need help with a work visa, speak with an immigration lawyer in Colorado. They can determine which work visa is appropriate for you and guide you through the process. USAttorneys can connect you with local visa attorney to work on your application.

Temporary work visas

These work visas are valid for a short time to immigrants with varying skills and education. Temporary visas are commonly granted for work in the agricultural and hospitality industries. Common types of temporary work visas are H-1B visas, H-2A visas which are granted for seasonal work on U.S. farms, and the H-2B visa, which is issued for seasonal work at hotels, resorts and amusement parks.

Temporary work visas are valid for a limited time.

Permanent work visas

Immigrants who would like to remain in Colorado for the long term can apply for a permanent work visa. Typically, permanent work visas, which are also immigrant visas, are issued to persons with exceptional skills in fields such as the arts, business, education, and science. A permanent (immigrant) visa holder can apply for a legal permanent residency immediately, but they must be sponsored by an U.S. employer.

H-1B visas

H-1B visas are one of the most sought out visas because they are dual-purpose. An H-1B visa is considered and temporary work visa, but it can be used to obtain a green card and U.S. citizenship. H-1B visas are typically issued to workers the fields of medicine, education, arts and business. These visas are valid for one-year or three-years and must be renewed periodically.

Only 65,000 H-1B visas are issued by USCIS each year, so immigrants should apply as soon as possible.

Green Cards or Legal Permanent Residency

Immigrants who come to the U.S. often hope they can remain in the U.S. for the long term. In 2013, lawful permanent residency was granted to 990,553 people, the Migration Policy Institute reports.

There are several different ways to obtain a green card:

Through family relationships

Trough employment

Through asylum status

For information about green cards in the U.S. visit the USCIS at

Undocumented immigration

Many immigrants in Colorado are undocumented because they crossed a border unlawfully or let their visa expire. (Forty percent of unauthorized immigrants in the country entered with a visa.) Immigrating is complicated, time-consuming and costly so many people bypass the process. Undocumented immigrants face many consequences for illegal entry or staying without authorization. If you enter the U.S. without authorization or overstay your visa, and are facing deportation, you should contact a an immigration attorney in Colorado for their assistance. There are several ways to challenge deportation and minimize the consequences.

If you live in Colorado and need to go through biometrics or interview with an immigration you can visit the USCIS field office in Denver: